Friday Hodgepodge

Friday, December 02, 2016

Three Things

1. Writing for the Federalist, a mother speaks for parents everywhere regarding winter clothing:

Here's my advice, then, if you see a cold-looking child and want to help. Put a sock in it. You don't know anything about this situation. Does it look like the child is in imminent danger of dying of hypothermia? No? Then go about your business.
And yes, her story is "better" than mine, although it may be that I can credit keeping my mouth shut for that fact.

2. On the proper way to preserve historic buildings, from the man who saved Houston from zoning back when I lived there:
When Milkovisch passed away, his property was purchased by the Orange Show Center for Visionary Art. That group wanted to preserve the Beer Can House from demolition, but rather than follow the typical pattern of trying to get a law passed, they put their money where their mouth is. This is the proper way to preserve historic buildings. And it is the proper way to celebrate and preserve Houston's heritage. [link dropped]
If I haven't said so already, I'll say it now: Despite its name and focus, there is plenty of material of general interest at Objectively Houston.

3. According to Walter Hudson of PJ Media, sometimes you have to say, "Because I said so":
Now that I have some experience, I realize that blind allegiance to parental authority is often precisely what is called for. I don't have time to explain the intricate nuances of every decision to the satisfaction of a three-year-old. More importantly, I shouldn't have to. There may be contexts when his prompt obedience could ensure his safety. More commonly, prompt obedience facilitates a productive routine. It isn't practical to make every moment teachable. Sometimes you just need to get moving.
This is true, although I stay away from that phrase as much as I can. I have found that I can often sneak in something like, "I'll explain why later," or even, "I've already told you why," particularly with my five-year-old.

Weekend Reading

"Whenever 'somebody else' pays for your health care, inevitably 'somebody else' will decide what care you will (or will not) receive." -- Paul Hsieh, in "Patients With Aortic Aneurysms More Likely to Die in the UK Than the US" at Forbes

"[I]n fact, [Castro] is no more than a cigar-smoking, dictator version of the relative who tells you to not be selfish." -- Michael Hurd, in "Fidel Castro's Overdue Demise" at Newsmax

"[T]he emotional effect of even the smallest breach between thought and action can slowly chip away at the peace of mind we try so hard to achieve." -- Michael Hurd, in "How Psychological Disorders Sneak Up on You" at The Delaware Wave

"I view gossip as a compulsion to talk about other people, regardless of the facts, for the express purpose of feeling better about yourself." -- Michael Hurd, in "Gossip vs. Self-Esteem" at The Delaware Coast Press

-- CAV

No comments: